MINISTRY OF CULTURE & SPORTS
GENERAL SECRETARY OF MODERN CULTURE OFFICE
SUBJECT: SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR FILMING IN GREECE
Rel: The May 6th 2020 guidelines by the National Committee for the Protection of Public Health.
In accordance to the above decisions, we inform you with the following:
The COVID-19 pandemic in Greece has shown a significant recession, but the risk of focal resurgence is always present as well as the possibility of a new epidemic wave. The return to the new normality will be done in small steps, with both individual and public health and safety in mind. Predictions of how long the measures will remain in effect are not easy to make. It will depend on both domestic and international epidemiological data, along with the course of the epidemiological curve.
This document is based on the instructions and recommendations of the Commission COVID-19 experts of the Ministry of Health and provides instructions for safe conduct during filming.
Filming may resume on May 18, as long as the epidemiological curve allows and according to the country’s epidemiological data.
a. Filming locations
- Interior spaces should be well ventilated. As for air conditioning, only open circuit air conditioners are allowed for use.
- Interior spaces should be disinfected with a 10:1 chlorine solution, i.e. 9-parts water and 1-part chlorine, before and after each shoot. This also applies to sanitary facilities. For surfaces that are likely to be damaged by use of sodium hypochlorite, ethanol solution 70% can be used. Particular emphasis should be given to surfaces that are frequently touched such as knobs, switches, handrails etc.
- In the shooting and rehearsal spaces etc. an antiseptic alcoholic solution (70%) should be provided.
- In sanitary facilities the following hygienic rules should be followed:
– Proper ventilation
– Closed toilet seat lid before flushing
– Use of paper or plastic disposable toilet seat covers is recommended
– Provision of running water, soap supplies, paper towels, foot pedal waste container
– Use equipment with a photoelectric cell or foot switch (e.g. for tap, soap) where ever possible
– Hand dryers should not be used
– Queue with distances of 1.5 meters
– Use of non-medical masks is recommended
– In case the wash-basins have been out of use for a long time, running hot water for 5 minutes before the first use is recommended.
– Showers should not be used
- Adequate space in locker rooms and dressing rooms should be provided, and costume change should only be made when absolutely necessary. In case not adequate space is available for everyone, the area should be used either in rotation or other available areas should be used as additional locker rooms/ dressing rooms. Personal clothes of cast and crew should be kept in sealed bags.
b. During filming
- The rule of 1.5 meters’ distance in open spaces and 2 meters’ distance in interior spaces should be kept.
- It is recommended to both cast and crew to use a protective non-medical mask or face shield and an antiseptic alcohol solution (70%), both during rehearsal and throughout the shooting, apart from those actors who appear in each scene.
- Special care should be taken for cast and crew belonging to vulnerable groups.
- Anyone who develops symptoms should be immediately removed from set wearing a mask.
- All equipment should be disinfected in the way indicated by the manufacturer before being brought into the set.
- If during the rehearsal or shooting it is required for actors to touch, they should disinfect their hands before and after the scene, and their contact should be as brief as possible. Also, scenes where the actor must touch the face of another actor should be avoided.
- About costumes, wigs, makeup etc.:
– These should be used exclusively by the artists who wear them, and artists should be dressed by themselves.
– Personal clothing should be kept in sealed bags (see above) and costumes should be kept in separate garment bags.
– Costumes should be steam cleaned before and after each use.
– Dressers, hairdressers, etc. should also have enough workspace so that the distance of 1.5 meters can be kept.
– Ideally, artists should take care of their own make-up. In case this is not possible, a personal make-up set should be used for each artist, while following the individual safety instructions. The make-up station must be cleaned after each use. It is extremely important that one set is far from the other. Practically, nothing should be in common.
– Ideally, hairdressing items should not be common either.
– Professional hairdressers, make-up artists, costume designers, etc. should wear disposable gloves (which they should change before attending to every artist), as well as a non-medical mask every time they take care of an artist’s appearance. In case the artist chooses to take care of his/her own appearance, they will have an advisory role, keeping their distance.
- Only the necessary cast and crew should be present during shooting. Shooting schedule should be as flexible as possible, so that people are not crowded together.
- For easier tracking, it is recommended to monitor incoming- outgoing people during rehearsals, as well as any potential symptoms they may have.
- Temperature check is not recommended as it does not perform well as precautionary measure against spreading.
- Used non-medical fabric masks should be placed in plastic bags, washed at 60 degrees, and ironed.
- Lunch break should be organized in a space where safety distance of at least 1.5 meters can be observed, along with the hygiene rules. The space, tables and chairs should be disinfected before each use. Food should come in individual portions, in transparent food wrap. It should be distributed by personnel wearing personal protective equipment (gloves, masks) to avoid queueing. Water, soft drinks, etc. should be distributed in individual sealed packages. After lunch break, waste should be placed in special sealed packages and discarded.
- Vehicles carrying personnel should be disinfected daily, before and after transfer.
- Auditions are recommended to take place as much as possible via video conference or videotape.
These measures are indicative. They cannot cover all possible cases and apply in parallel with the broader measures in force. For this reason, there must be constant monitoring of the relevant developments through the website of the National Public Health Organization: https://eody.gov.gr/neos-koronaios-covid-19/.
All parties involved should show the necessary individual responsibility, protecting themselves and other people. Production companies in particular should take every precaution to protect workers and take additional measures at their discretion which may be required due to specific features of a filming location or shoot.
Any additional details will be published in a relevant Joint Ministerial Decision that will follow.
General Secretary of Modern Culture
Unofficial Translation by the HELLENIC FILM COMMISSION
of the GREEK FILM CENTRE